Monday, February 12, 2007

The Scoop On Technorati

A little over a week ago I posted on Technorati.com. After a week of using this service I have a bit more insight into how it works and whether it is really worth it.

Ultimately the concept is definitely there, this kind of service could definitely build traffic if you are ranked high enough, and for me brought in several people over the course of the week. I found that one of the major flaws with this service is the very long and often variable amount of time it takes to get your posts indexed. On several occasions it happened as quickly as within a half hour of posting (using a manual ping). On other occasions it took longer then overnight. I also found that the times and time since posting listed on their site is often incorrect. I do not really know how the internals of the system work, but it seems to me they either need more specific instructions for making your blog compatible with their robots, or they need some better software design. This spotty service is very frustrating at times, and I would venture to guess that it is the reason I haven't received more traffic from the site then I have. Often my posts only appear after a few hours, by which time they are already off the first page of their tags because of their age. The service is helpful in many ways, but I really wish they would improve. I did manage to change all the tag links to point only to my posts with those tags, so all the newer posts' tags should point to my posts.

I tried out another service starting yesterday, signing up for and installing some code for blogtopsites.com. They haven't actually ranked me yet, but I think it will be in the top half of the video game category. Maybe I'll have some more insight into this in a week.

Anyway, back to preparing for today's classes. Later,
-Toraux

No comments: