Sunday, February 11, 2007

Gates Work Nicely

I finished coding gates today. Really thinking about it I should have been able to get more done. I'm thinking about moving on to the next thing on my list tonight, but its hard getting motivated, mostly because I'm not sure on the best way to do it. Back to gates. So gates open and close at the pull of a lever. These levers can be anywhere, and each one can store a single gate to control. Possibly in the future each lever might be able to control multiple gates, but this seems to be enough for the moment. The ideal use of this system is in castles for example, where defenders can open and close the gates from inside, making an assault more difficult. This should add another whole dimension to attack and defend type situations where a faction wants to take a strategic point from another.

The next task to complete is an improvement on how my immortal edit room, and other internals handle selecting and creating new rooms. Basically right now I have several hardcoded select statements, and every time I want to add a room type I need to tweak this list. I would prefer to be able to code it in one place and let the code handle differentiating between the different types. I'll likely use the java.reflexive packages that I used for the commands performance monitoring command. Hopefully it won't be too hard and I can get through this tomorrow maybe. I also have plans to do ladders and the up and down directional commands this week.

I spent a lot of the rest of my time today working on an article I plan on posting tomorrow or Tuesday on the free model of online game publishing. I plan on submitting it to the GameProducer.net Carnival of Game Production. Its definitely one of the longer pieces of writing I've ever written outside of school essays and research papers, hopefully it will be enjoyable to read.

Until tomorrow,
-Toraux


No comments: