Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Multimedia on Websites

This is mainly a rant... so be prepared. While web surfing a bit today between homework, studying, etc I came across a website discussing some new MMO. Unfortunately for me the website all but 'required' IE 5.0. I run linux most of the time, so rebooting to view one website isn't on my list of things to do. To my further disappointment, to view with firefox I needed to download some plugin, I think it was for flash or shockwave... something to that order. Screw that. Personally I don't think its good practice to require any sort of spiffy technology to visit a website. Especially a commercial one. If you at least leave a simple version for users then the low bandwidth, low tech customers can still get access. I remember when most sites had frames or no frames options.... why not flash and no flash these days? If your website uses multimedia, and does something like this then I applaud you. If you don't, you won't get my money, or traffic. I think this is especially important for game sites in this genre. People who play MUDs and other online text games generally are looking for the low tech, low bandwidth alternative. Why pair a text game with a flash website if thats the only option? I remember visiting an paid for ad once to find this kind of situation... needless to say I didn't get past the front page to the site, and their money went down the tubes. All I'm really saying is.... give users low tech options whenever possible. If not, you loose customers and viewers.

-Toraux

No comments: