Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Post #100

As the title indicates, we finally made it to #100. A lot has passed since last October when I started taking this seriously and started my specification. I have toiled to hit quite a few thousand lines of Java so far with lots more to be accomplished. Every day I get a chance to code I feel like I move forward ever so slightly. Sometimes its the progress in the game, other times its personal progress towards becoming a better programmer. Someday I will finish and there will be joy had by all.

While software development is fun, I think it would be far more fun to have the game completed. I wouldn't mind waging war or hunting. Changing my world and living out a possibility that I cannot live out here in real life. Players being able to 100% change their world and influence the course of game history.... thats my kind of entertainment. To get to this point and get listed among the great computer games, MUDs, and mmorpgs of our day and next there is much left to be accomplished.

The next half a year or so will include some pretty exciting events:

* I will be looking to recruit a marketing wiz to help get the word out and create a brand and image that people will associate with this game.
* I plan to dust off my several year old python prototype and have a fun day or weekend where players will be able to see a tiny glimpse into what the final game will be like.
* Major testing will commence next January.
* A new blog layout will be set hopefully within the next 6 months, followed by a brand new website.
* A new name for Dynamic MUD, a world to go with the engine.

Anyone who might be new here might want to take this time to get on the site change notification page down on the right side bar. Anyone who is interested in testing or get some early info on the prototype fun day should check out the tester group link on the right side bar as well.

Thanks all for your continued support!
-Toraux

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

This is Orin here from some muds like discworld, realms, etc.

I've stumbled apon this site due to a post on the TMC mud promotions board. Now here's my question...

Well, since there will be no zones, will there at least be a description of the wilderness and where you are? Because if this does become developed, we need to have descriptions as a visually impaired player of muds.

This mud sounds extremely cool, being able to do whatever you want and not being restricted to builders. Build what you want. What I do want, though, is depending on what is in the room, make some dynamic description like how godwars2 does it. If this mud gets any popular in a few years, I as a visually impaired person, playing muds for almost 2 years now and haven't found a home yet, would surely not want to be left out. This is what I've been wanting for a long time. You change everything you can do just by doing it, the weather does, the NPC's do, etc, and there's no mud like it that's so dynamic.

DynamicMud consept seriously rules here!

Thanks,

Orin.

Toraux said...

Hey Orin, thanks for posting.

There are plans in place for some dynamic descriptions. Even with descriptions it will definitely lack some of the level of detail allowed by the map. Rooms will be represented by symbols, a room with a lot of trees might have a darker color or a different symbol then a room with a few trees. In a particular room though, this information will be pretty easy to form into descriptions. Player's will also have generated descriptions based on their stats. I will be hiding as much of the numbers as possible to help create realism.

I also have plans in place for various survey commands. One which would show a player who is in his or her general vicinity. The only other way to know there are players around will be the room highlighting on the map. I also have considered a survey which might show the terrain surrounding the player. Possibly averaging the room types in various directions to show the player villages, mountains, forests, and roads.

I hope these features will allow you to play, if not post again, I would be happy to try and improve the design for accessibility. Hopefully the reliance on the map won't detract from playability.

Thanks again for posting!
-Toraux