Saturday, February 11, 2006

Rough Patch

Looks like im hitting a bit of a rough patch. Not only do I have a fever this weekend, but it looks like I will need to make some major changes to my design for Dynamic to meet the expectations I have for it. It seems database operations are too processor expensive to do as fequently as I had planned. After having 1000 AI units walking around moving every second and thus updating a database 1k times a second causes some extreme lag.

The plan for the next week is to move all player/entity stuff more directly into memory. I will be storing all the entities in a list and have to write some fast searching code to pull them out of their list quickly. I will probably end up modifying items in a similar way to make them more processor efficient as well. If all goes well I should have dynamic running smoothly with several thousand AI units doing all sorts of movement and item operations on a very fast basis. Ill try to update here when dynamic seems stable again.

-Toraux

No comments: